The mission of The Mustard Seed Furniture and Clothing Bank is to help to rebuild the lives of families and individuals who have suffered disaster or personal tragedy by providing household furnishings and clothing while being environmentally responsible to our community.
The Mustard Seed of Central Florida was established in 1984 at a time when homelessness was just beginning to emerge as a community-wide epidemic. It grew from the personal commitment of the founder, Carol Kane, who saw all homeless individuals, regardless of race, creed, or social status, simply as God’s children in need of assistance. The Mustard Seed became a non-profit, charitable organization as a result of her faith.
The Mustard Seed collects donations of furniture, appliances, household items, toys, as well as anything and everything needed to create a home. We grant the donated items to families and individuals to help them re-establish a home. Since 1984, The Mustard Seed has served the homeless, domestic violence victims, welfare recipients, the elderly, the disabled, disaster victims, the ill and others struggling to re-develop a home in the Central Florida area.
The beautiful building which houses the Mustard Seed Furniture and Clothing Bank was built entirely by the hearts, hands, and generosity of our caring community partners. We can never thank them enough for their gifts and support. By July of 1999, they built a beautiful 20,000 square foot building with separate areas to house our Clothing and Furniture Departments, four individual air conditioned rooms to house our Dish Room, Toy Room, Linens Department and Housewares Department, as well as the administrative offices. In fall 2005, the Edyth Bush Charitable Foundation gifted The Mustard Seed with a beautiful large sign for the warehouse to make it easier to see from the main road.
During fiscal year 2010-11 over 1,600 Central Florida families, including over 2,500 children, received help from The Mustard Seed. Over 99% of those served are economically disadvantaged, per the Federal Poverty Index. The other 1% are disaster victims whose circumstances left them without financial resources to create new futures.
The Mustard Seed has accomplished much in its 28 years of service!
We own a 20,000 square foot mortgage-free office and warehouse facility, a project completed in 1999 and made possible with donated land and through the gifted labor and materials of many local contractors and businesses. The agency has a small staff of eight full-time employees and operates three trucks to pick up items in the tri-county area of Orange, Seminole, and Osceola. Loyal volunteers are a critical complement to our limited staffing.
Since its inception, The Mustard Seed has assisted more that 46,000 Central Florida families establish new beginnings for themselves and their children. We have established numerous relationships with other non-profit organizations in order to better serve our community. In 2010, we became one of the only mattress recycling programs in the nation! This contributes to the overall well-being of the environment for everyone while creating sustainable revenue for our programs.
12 Mustard Seed Lane | Orlando, FL 32810
Phone: 407-875-2040 | Fax: 407-875-3413